The conversation tonight includes things learned via penetration testing at GVSU, what we know about retention policies at our schools (Internet Archive?) and content update policies. We also learn that GVSU Library has puppets you can check out… like a lot of puppets!
Penetration testing at GVSU
- Very fixable things were found (one thing was found 35k times)
- Cross-site scripting
- Allows a hacker to send a link that looks like it’s from the site you’re going to but does nefarious things.
- Does your school have a web retention policy? When is it ok to get rid of a site?
- Conference sites have a definite end date.
- GVSU puts a “last update” date in the footer. This can be problematic for evergreen content (directions to the university).
- Internet Archive
- Iowa and GVSU libraries use it for retired sites.
- Content updates policy – how do you make sure someone is looking at content on a regular basis?
- Best Puppet Ever
Pheasant Puppet (with inappropriate finger placement)
- All About Twickety
Puppets for everyone!