Daniel is in Iowa City visiting Ken and Scott, so they are podcasting from the same location at the University of Iowa Libraries. Dan and Dave join remotely to discuss personal sites and hosting on campus and focus groups and how the kids use the internets these days.
Ken, Daniel and Scott are in the same room recording at the University of Iowa Libraries. Dan and Dave are still in Grand Rapids.
Dan is participating in a Magic the Gathering tournament tomorrow. (He will not be dressing like a wizard)
Do you host personal sites and/or blogs?
- GVSU has personal web space (via FTP)
- http://www2.gvsu.edu/slaughtd/ (built with MS Word!!)
- UALR has a historic server (Web1) where everything went (and still lives, including personal sites).
- UIowa has MyWeb for academic purposes (hosting space)
- Admissions has a student blog site (http://blog.admissions.uiowa.edu/) to provide an authentic student voice for recruiting.
- Uiowa admissions focus groups for high schools: where are students on social, what are they using?
- High School students are not on facebook anymore; first time it has shifted
- New incoming students setting up a facebook to participate with the university
- Where do the find you first? Google. High School Counselors (https://www.naviance.com/).
- Populations tend to be highly heterogeneous, students have varied goals and intentions. After those, “do you have the program I’m interested in? What do I have to do to join?”