People keep uploading HUGE images, so we chat about the best ways to handle automatically optimizing them via the various CMS tools. We also dip into usability and card sorting exercises.
Ken has an issue with people uploading non-optimized LARGE images. What’s the best way to deal with that?
- Img tag can use “srcset” which you can pass a list including the path and width of the image with multiple images so that the browser doesn’t need to download the image to know the width.
- How do we make images smaller (file size)?
- Managed Image Content Areas
- File size (compression, img data optimization, stripping meta/exif data)
- Dynamic size use (srcset, sizes)
- File Format conversion/use
- Load/Pre-loading (lazy loading)
- WordPress Tools
- Drupal Cropping Tool
- Outside Services for Compression
Card Sort for usability
- Good Article on Card Sorting Process: http://usabilitygeek.com/card-sorting-quick-guide-for-beginners/
- Card Sorting App: https://sites.google.com/a/uxsort.com/uxsort/
(this is better used internally for reporting vs. a tool for a user to participate in the card sort)
- What would happen when you played card sort telephone game – taking a sort and giving the results to the next sort and giving those results to the next sort?