How we got into tech (and our embarrassing first websites). Some Hangout members purchased the Squatty Potty and they want to talk about it. Plus the first ever HEH topic lightning round.
- Intros: How we got into web/tech/job (our history with tech)
- Our First Sites:
- Squatty Potty (a commercial break?)
- Lighting round topics (timed, X minutes each. Dave will set audible timer). Go in same order as Intro’s.
- IDE’s (integrated development environment)
- People Directory Listing (Search)
How do you look up people at your university to contact them?
How do you deal with spam scraping that source?
- Daniel: ualr.edu/azindex
- Ken: Library-only – WP custom content type
- Dave: People-finder telecommunications table from IT
- Scott: Iowa *might* use LDAP
- Dan(iel): Central table managed by IT for fac/staff, students come from banner
- Which social media is your University most active on?
Who is in charge of it?
- Daniel: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram; MarComm
- Ken: Tumblr (WTF!), Twitter (LIBRARY WARS!); Library
- Dave: Facebook, SnapChat (Takeovers); Public Relations
- Scott: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook; Admissions
- Dan(iel): Tap into API’s to pull in content
- What new tech do you want to get into?
- Dave: eye trackers for usability
- Scott: 360 virtual tours (need interstitial video/shots between tour stops)
- Daniel: continuous deployment, microservices