A site gets destroyed (temporarily), and how we all test our sites and prepare for the worst. We also talk about our favorite childhood games.
Ken destroys his Iowa Library site
- Testing with the new google tester
- Used a plugin for compression (w3 total cache plugin)
- Got all 100’s (because an error 500 page loads REALLY quickly)
Iowa Library overwrote a site
- Overwrote /maps with /maps (an actual site)
Arizona launched a new primary website
- The server was not configured correctly for Drupal and failed under normal traffic.
Dave did load testing
- Learned that the internet connection was not good enough and the load balance was failing on that.
Dave created a site for site administrator and not the actual users of the site
- Failed badly and had to rewrite – was a learning experience
UALR set up 250+ WordPress (stand-alone) installations on a single server
- The server still exists and they have been working on migrating into a single wordpress network
What do we want to be when we grow up?
- Scott – Artist, Movie Director
- Daniel – Hacker, Actor, a lot of things
- Dave – Was outside a lot and wanted to be a park ranger (then got a Tandy and never left the house again)
- Ken played games on ancient calculators (http://sm.pcmag.com/pcmag_in/photo/h/hewlett-pa/hewlett-packard-hp-65-1974_js34.jpg)
He LOVED the HP 15C!!!!!!
Play: Wizardry on the Apple II
Read: Ready Player One (movie coming out soon)
Favorite Childhood Games:
- Dan: Pokemon (gameboy)
- Dave: Thexter
- Daniel: Myst
- Scott: Lode Runner